I'm 40. It's time to give up booze. I don't think I’m an alcoholic but I know that I drink too much when I’m stressed. I have had a drink on every night of every day for as long as I can remember. It got to the point where a bottle of wine wasn't enough in a night and to me it has become something that bothers me. So, as of Sunday 5th august (my first day back from holiday) I have quit the terrible booze. This is a blog of my experience. Booze Away!

Thursday, September 6, 2007

How Long Now

It has been 5 weeks since I had my last drink and I here's a check to see how I actually am after this time.

Most of the time I have been feeling positive about it. I feel good about how I feel now and how my exercise routine is actually affecting me positively.

I run 3 or 4 times a week for a 9 km circuit. When i get home from this, I sleep like a log. If I don't run, I do have problems getting off to sleep but I think this is because I leave it too late sometimes and get over tired. Before, a bottle of wine and a couple of beers could guarantee that I get to sleep in a muddled, deep, snoring, sodden slumber.

I don't snore anymore. I have lost 8 kilos in 5 weeks. I can fit shirts that I haven't worn for ages. Health wise I am doing well and on track.

Personally, I am finding it difficult to be the new me. I am very focused inwardly and at work but seem distant at home. I have to start tiring to address this balance. This hasn't been helped by the fact that I have been 10 times more proactive at work and thereby 10 times busier. So I have been running 3 nights and working the other 2. Mrs X is understandably a little frustrated and we aren't communicating effectively. Although I am planning in my calender to spend a couple of nights a week with no TV, computer and playing games, chatting instead, this hasn't happened.

Not to mention that my hearing is really bad in my right ear so I am probably going to have to wear a damn hearing aid.

Life goes on in a booze free way. This is just the first few weeks.

No comments: