I'm 40. It's time to give up booze. I don't think I’m an alcoholic but I know that I drink too much when I’m stressed. I have had a drink on every night of every day for as long as I can remember. It got to the point where a bottle of wine wasn't enough in a night and to me it has become something that bothers me. So, as of Sunday 5th august (my first day back from holiday) I have quit the terrible booze. This is a blog of my experience. Booze Away!

Sunday, August 12, 2007

After a week

It's been a week now and there have been a couple of times during the week when a beer would have been great but that was probably because it was 30 degrees outside and humid as hell.

I was going out with a friend to the cinema on Thursday and we had talked about beers and a movie but obviously that had changed. During the day I had almost persuaded myself that it would be alright to have a beer when I am out socially and just not at home. I thought hard again and decided that I wouldn't divert with my plan after all. I was, however, really embarrassed and a little nervous about telling my friend about this new part of my life. Also, about the part that I had a drink every night for...well, I can't remember when I didn't. He was surprised but really understanding and, whether from sympathy or politeness, didn't drink a beer either. Instead we chatted over organic lattes. Normally, I would have taken a bus or ridden my bike to the meeting and had a good 4 or 5 beers before the film. I would also have come home afterwards, fixed myself an enormous sandwich and drank a large glass of wine, before falling asleep in front of the TV on the sofa. It felt really good not to do this.

I know, actually that I will have some encounters in a social aspect where people don't understand why I have done this and this is almost as hard to deal with as not drinking!

My running has gone really well this week and already I have managed to extend my distance. I am running about 8 km in an hour. Since I have stopped drinking it seems that the hardest thing to do was talk to Mrs X about it. Now I have done it,it seems like the best decision I have ever taken. I hope I can continue when I reach a point of real stress again. I really hope so.

No comments: