I'm 40. It's time to give up booze. I don't think I’m an alcoholic but I know that I drink too much when I’m stressed. I have had a drink on every night of every day for as long as I can remember. It got to the point where a bottle of wine wasn't enough in a night and to me it has become something that bothers me. So, as of Sunday 5th august (my first day back from holiday) I have quit the terrible booze. This is a blog of my experience. Booze Away!

Monday, August 13, 2007

The first trial

Ok. I had a difficult night last night. We had friends over and sat outside in our buildings playground with the kids, grilling and chatting. It was really nice and I didn't feel like a beer. However, later, around 22.30, when the kids had gone to bed and Mrs X (after a hard day) had also retired, I really felt a pang for a drink. I looked in the fridge and there was a bottle of wine and the remains of a 6 pack from our friends visit. I was seriously drawn to them.

Before, I would have had a beer then probably opened the wine, switched on the computer and played Warcraft until 2.00 a.m. but this time I didn't. I was almost bored. I do get bored with t.v. anyway. I'd rather surf the net or do something else. It was also too late to go for a run. For about 15 minutes, I really wanted a beer. I tend to talk to myself in these situations and I believe the good side of my head won out with phrases like 'Don't be a twat', winning the day. The craving passed and, luckily for me, there was an old rerun of Seinfeld on TV which took me up to midnight when I went to bed.

No comments: