I'm 40. It's time to give up booze. I don't think I’m an alcoholic but I know that I drink too much when I’m stressed. I have had a drink on every night of every day for as long as I can remember. It got to the point where a bottle of wine wasn't enough in a night and to me it has become something that bothers me. So, as of Sunday 5th august (my first day back from holiday) I have quit the terrible booze. This is a blog of my experience. Booze Away!

Thursday, August 9, 2007

The first few days

Actually, it was from Sunday that I had decided to give up and haven't actually had any withdrawal symptoms so i find that very encouraging. On Monday I went for a long run then basically did the same on Tuesday and Wednesday. An hour of jogging gets me so tired that I can just go to bed at midnight and sleep. I have always been a restless sleeper.

Midnight may seem late but another thing that I gave up was playing on the computer til all hours. Nearly every evening would follow a specific pattern. We would get the kids in bed. Mrs X would be watching TV. I would crack open a nice bottle of wine and start playing Warcraft...and continue and continue. Afte Mrs X had gone to bed around 22.30, I would continue drinking my bottle of wine, until around 2.00 a.m. If I finished the bottle I would be really thirsty so I would have a can or 2 of beer. During this time I would also get hungry as alcohol always makes me starving. So i would have a sandwich at midnight or eat some chocolate or....well the list goes on.

The next day I would have to get up at 06.15 to get the kids up. What an idiot! My head would be dead for an hour. I could hardly manage to get the kids breakfast or mumble to them. I think I was like a ghost or a zombie.

One really strange effect was that I would arrive at the office and think back over the last hour and actually half-forget if I had dropped the kids off at kindergarten and school. It was very bizarre.

On Thursday, I logged onto Warcraft for the last time and closed my account. What a relief. It's like this big weight has lifted from my shoulders. Warcraft is the most amazing experience and so well made that it's addictivity has been likened to that of hard drugs. There is always just one last thing to find, one last level to reach and one more quest to complete. To play it you need to be logged on for at least 3 hours at a time.

When I have been drinking, I have lost time, selfrespect and control over my life. Seems a good reason to stop.

No comments: